Neatgear just created http://kb.netgear.com/000036386/CVE-2016-582384

Kurt Seifried
Now technically they didn't list the CVE in the actual document, but they made it the document URL name.

I'm pretty sure this isn't kosher.

Re: Neatgear just created http://kb.netgear.com/000036386/CVE-2016-582384

Adinolfi, Daniel R

Folks,

Looks like this is for Netgear VU# 582384.

If you put in "http://kb.netgear.com/000036386/", the page you linked is what loads. (In fact, it seems anything after the /000036386/ directory will load the page for VU# 582384 at the URL below.)

My guess is they are using some unfortunate templating and redirecting that allows them to update the URL without breaking anything. From where did you get that URL originally?

Thanks.

-Dan

From: <[hidden email]> on behalf of Kurt Seifried <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 10:48
To: cve-cna-list <[hidden email]>, cve-editorial-board-list <[hidden email]>
Subject: Neatgear just created http://kb.netgear.com/000036386/CVE-2016-582384

Now technically they didn't list the CVE in the actual document, but they made it the document URL name.

I'm pretty sure this isn't kosher.

Red Hat Product Security contact:

Re: Neatgear just created http://kb.netgear.com/000036386/CVE-2016-582384

jericho

:
: My guess is they are using some unfortunate templating and redirecting
: that allows them to update the URL without breaking anything. From where
: did you get that URL originally?

Honestly, why does that matter? Google will index netgear's site
routinely regardless of where Kurt found it.

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=inurl%3A%22CVE-2016-582384%22&oq=inurl%3A%22CVE-2016-582384%22&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.5363j0j7

The real question is... since Netgear isn't a listed as a CNA [1], what is
the protocol for reaching out to them about such an incident?

.b

[1] https://cve.mitre.org/cve/cna.html