request: removal of Alan Paller from the CEB (fwd)

request: removal of Alan Paller from the CEB (fwd)

jericho
This has gone unanswered since April 22. No reply to me personally, no
action on list.

This is a *no-brainer* decision here. MITRE refuses to address this. It is
very easy to read into this that MITRE doesn't really see the board as a
body that matters, something I have brought up more than once in private.
If you can't staff your Kangaroo court properly, it is very telling.

Brian

RE: request: removal of Alan Paller from the CEB (fwd)

Levendis, Chris
Your conclusions are ridiculous. Participate in the charter revisions that numerous conscientious board members have and then voice your consternation. Such revisions provide for a consensus solution to the problem you identify.

We're trying to advance the program just like our colleagues are, and they have really good ideas.

Participate constructively or be quiet.

Chris levendis
The CVE Team

Sent with Good (www.good.com)

[0] https://cve.mitre.org/community/board/
[1] https://cve.mitre.org/data/board/archives/2014-04/msg00017.html

RE: request: removal of Alan Paller from the CEB (fwd)

jericho
Chris,

First, who exactly are you? Other than a "project manager" [0] who has not
posted to the public CVE Editorial Board list in the last 16+ years? Where
is *your* contribution to the board?

On Tue, 23 Aug 2016, Levendis, Chris wrote:

: Your conclusions are ridiculous. Participate in the charter revisions

No, my point in this mail is backed in pure, unadulterated fact. Fact,
that is, in case you didn't miss the FACT part of that.

I have a spreadsheet of CVE editorial board posts from 5/17/2000 to
7/27/2016 that I generated, partially due to my time, and partially due to
paying out of pocket for an analyst to generate the rest. I get that he
may have participated in the charter before 2000, but nothing in the last
16 years despite 'not voting' on a few critical events in those years has
been grounds for removal.

Show me where Allan Paller contributed to the list between those dates. If
you can show me a time he did, it means the Board Mail List Archive [1] is
not complete (which I have also called out many times as not updating
properly). I sincerely want you to show me where I am wrong in my
assertions.

: Participate constructively or be quiet.

Are you saying definitely, that I have not participated constructively?
Sure, I have been very vocal, I have slightly crossed some boundaries on
decorum that were expected by others, and only later qualified as rules
after I pushed MITRE to behave more responsibly (wher they focused on
decorum, not improving CVE). But to suggest that I haven't been
constructive is absurd and false.

You signed your mail:

   Chris levendis
   The CVE Team

So is this the official stance of the MITRE/CVE team telling a board
member to be quiet? That I am wrong, that Allan Paller has somehow brought
value to the board, despite not posting to the list at all in 16 years? I
am mindful of the 'promoting CVE' angle that has been brought up before,
but I am speaking specifically to participation on the board in his
documented role [2].

Brian

[0] https://www.linkedin.com/in/chris-levendis-a1711594
[1] http://cve.mitre.org/community/board/archive.html
[2] https://cve.mitre.org/community/board/

Re: request: removal of Alan Paller from the CEB (fwd)

Paller, Alan
Please do take me off the list. I have not kept up the level of expertise to be substantively helpful.

But Brian, I think that because I was the convener for the origination of the project, the MITRE folks are probably just being kind rather than careless.

The work you are like doing is important, and I'm sorry I've been a distraction.

Alan

Alan Paller
Director of Research, SANS

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 23, 2016, at 12:52 AM, jericho <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This has gone unanswered since April 22. No reply to me personally, no action on list.
>
> This is a *no-brainer* decision here. MITRE refuses to address this. It is very easy to read into this that MITRE doesn't really see the board as a body that matters, something I have brought up more than once in private. If you can't staff your Kangaroo court properly, it is very telling.
>
> Brian

Manley, Meghan E.
Alan,

Thank you for your vision and advocacy for CVE throughout the years. From its founding in 1999, CVE has grown to become the de facto standard for security vulnerability identification and your leadership in promoting CVE in the community has been vital in its adoption.

We will remove you from the CVE Board list and from related e-mail lists as you have requested.

Thanks again for your service,
Meghan E. Manley
Homeland Security Systems Engineering and
Development Institute (HS SEDI)
703-983-4278 (office)
703-674-7081 (cell)
[hidden email]